Friday, October 20, 2006

from where i'm standing

last night was magic.

i love doing things on my own. i know people, especially americans, think its strange to go to dinner, the movies, or out for coffee alone, but it is honestly one of my favorite things to do...ever. i borrowed a friend's car and took off for oakhurst. now i know it isn't exactly the thriving city of my youth (or dreams) and lacks a certain amount of culture, but i made a date out of it anyway.

my first stop was the grocery to get a few neccesities and of course cash my humble check. second, since i was craving it, i went to get sushi at oka. i had a wonderful shrimp tempuri roll and some green tea ice-cream, as well as a diet coke to prove my americaness. i do love that kind of pop. i sat at the bar because its my favorite place to sit. i really enjoy watching them make my food. i was served by kyung jay, who told me his name was "john", i told him there was no way that was his real name. he said i couldn't pronounce his real name, i told him "try me" and i got it right the first time.i am one of about three people in oakhurst who know and can say his real name. for some reason talking to him made me very sad at times and it struck me as odd that he was a very korean man making a very japanese meal, but he was lonely and friendly. he struck up conversation about anything and everything he could. where i was from, what school i went to, how old i was etc. etc. in a round-about yet extremely obvious way he asked me out. i left with his number (i didn't ask) and the pride that comes with making a new friend all on your own. i'll never forget it.

after the interesting encounter and delicious meal at oka i took off to the video store to pick out two movies i wanted to see. it was great not to ask someone what they might be interested in watching. i walked straight up to the counter asked for the films i wanted, was pointed in the general direction, picked them up without a single qualm and payed nine dollars for my weekend.

next to last stop was starbucks. i would have gone to zanders, but its not open as late and i was craving a chai tea latte. there were a lot of "scene" kids there as usual and i could tell they weren't sure what i was there for. i probably looked like i was trying to infiltrate there inner circle, but once i lit my cigarette and took out my book, i think they realized i couldn't give two shits about what they happen to be doing at that particular moment. i really was there for myself. i read several chapters and enjoyed myself fully. they played good music. some tracy chapman and phil collins, both of which reminded me of my childhood. it started to get cold so i decided to hit the gas station for fuel and a box of other neccesities. i talked to the girl behind the counter about piercings...for the third time. she's a nice girl.

i wonder if she thinks i'm a nice girl...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just being yourself. it's a good thing.